Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Zen

Zen
3016 Lyndale Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55408
612-822-8896

We visited Zen one evening after a quick beer on the rooftop at Moto-I. I'm glad we went to Zen because it seems that Moto-I isn't getting great reviews. Also, Zen was very nice and the food was good. It was sort of sad to see the place empty though (it was a Tuesday evening), we were literally the only table there.

The menu was fairly large with a good variety of soups, noodles and stir-fry. There was also some fish options, some interesting apps and a good wine list. Also, during the weekdays wine bottles are half off, so that's a plus.

I went with my usual - Pho. Zen did a great job and it was only about 8 bucks. The broth was really flavorful and the meat was tender. There were thin slices of beef brisket and some meatballs (pretty traditional), lots of noodles and a few bean sprouts. On the side came fresh jalapenos and hoisin and sriracha sauce.


My sister had the Tom Yum, one of her favorites. It didn't come with noodles, but she asked if they could add some and the kitchen was very nice to add some and I think free of charge. The soup was spicy, the shrimp were large and cooked very nicely and on top were strips of fried egg. No complaints here.

Mr. B had the beef with broccoli (probably called something else, I don't remember). It was however very bright and colorful, lots of vegetables, crunchy and served with rice.


-BananaWoo

No comments: