Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Ricotta Gnocchi

I am super proud of myself, I made gnocchi! And not just any gnocchi, good gnocchi! Thanks to the awesome recipe at deliciousdays.com and a little can do attitude I was able to pull these off on the first try. For those of you looking for the recipe in cups versus grams here's a little breakdown:



1/2-2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup of ricotta cheese
1 egg yolk from a medium to large egg
1/4-1/2 tsp of fine sea salt (I used regular table salt and it worked out fine)
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese


Mix the wet ingredients first (and the salt) and then gradually add the flour a little bit at a time stirring with a wooden fork. The mixture will be sticky, but rolling it out in flour will solve that. If you take a floured finger and poke it should feel almost bouncy. The more flour you add the more dense your gnocchi will turn out.




These dumplings turned out fluffy and velvety just like deliciousdays said. I forked them (this is not necessary) and made a simple red sauce with spicy Italian sausage to go on top. I served the gnocchi with a spinach and arugula salad with a light olive oil, black pepper, salt and crushed red pepper dressing. This dish looks hearty, but because of the delicate texture of the gnocchi it didn't feel like you just ate a rock. I can't wait to make this recipe again and try some different variations with herbs or other seasonings!


-BananaWoo

No comments: