Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The W Hotel 'Living Room'

Living Room @ The W Hotel
The Foshay Tower
821 Marquette Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55402
612-215-3700
W Hotels
Living Room

Thanks to my wonderful friend Chong, who celebrated his 25th birthday this last Saturday (Happy Birthday!), we got to experience the 'Living Room' at the W Hotel in the Foshay Tower, Downtown Minneapolis.

Not going to lie, I tend to be skeptical when it comes to 'clubs' and a lot of places downtown. I'm more of a beer-in-a-lawn-chair sort of girl. However, I have to admit that the W changed my view on a few things and I might even be inclined to go back. I mean Molly Sims came all the way to MN for the opening, so it has to be good, right?

The decor is very trendy, but the attitude is laid back. The waitresses are dressed in black short shorts and lace tights, but all were extra friendly and accommodating. There are velvet and leather couches, love seats, overstuffed and high back chairs that fill the room. The overall lighting is dark and highlighted by a few giant metal lamps, chandeliers and neon lights (lights, not beer signs). The bar is huge and good news! The bathroom has an attendant.

I could see some people (i.e. me) who are not used to these kind of places being intimidated. Don't be. There is a large drink menu (be expecting to drop a few dollars, this is downtown after all) featuring martinis, beer, wine and other specialty drinks. Prices were reasonable, if you consider $14 for a martini reasonable. But if you're going to go celebrate might as well go all out. That, and the drinks we're actually really good and definitely not skimping on the alcohol, so...money's worth (see 'Behind the Green Door' to right).

I'm not sure what kind of deal Chong had finagled out of these people, but there was plenty of food and not everything you would expect from a place like the W. It seems that street food is the new filet mignon. I'm on board.

A few things featured on the menu: mini hamburgers, mini hot dogs, grilled cheese and tomato soup shooters, onion rings and fries, mac and cheese, crab legs and claws, oysters, tuna cerviche, mussles, jumbo shrimp cocktail and spicy seasoned potato chips. Not to mention the amazing strawberry cream cake from Buttercream bakery in St. Paul.

Mini Hot Dogs

Grilled Cheese & Tomato Soup Shooters

Mini Hamburgers

Oysters

Mac & CheeseStone Crab Claws

I was really impressed by the W Hotel and their Living Room lounge. Their staff did a great job entertaining and keeping everyone happy and believe it or not, they won my affection.

-BananaWoo

1 comment:

Chonger said...

YAY!! A post all about me!! Lets just say the food was definity not free but it came with refills which is a plus!! I might skip out on the sea food platter next time since that did not come with refills booooo... Another boo was that I spent too much time drinking and not enough time eating... All I got was a mini hotdog and like 3 fries. Thanks for coming and thanks for blogging!!

Ps I learned how to make a blackberry mojito Ill let you try some once I have mastered it