Friday, April 3, 2009

Plymouth Thai Secret

Bahn Thai
4108 Lancaster Lane North
Plymouth, MN 55441
763-559-9030
http://bahnthai.tripod.com/

Open weekdays from 10:30am to 8:30pm
Fridays til 9:00pm
Saturdays 11:00am to 9:00pm
Closed on Sundays

I don't find myself in Plymouth too often. CNNMoney tells me it's the number 1 best place to live (2008). Don't believe me? That's okay, I don't believe me either, but see for yourself: http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2008/snapshots/PL2751730.html

I've heard Plymouth is stabby. I also know that their traveling girls soccer team is awful. Awful in the sense that their team color is teal and it just so happens that all of the parent's have teal mini vans to match (I may have been ejected from a few games back in the day). Despite the rumors and their unusual obsession with a horrible shade of green, Plymouth might not be so bad after all. And if you're from Plymouth and reading this, please don't hurt me.

May I introduce to you Bahn Thai restaurant. Located in one of the many failing strip malls of this beautiful state (4-seasons mall), Bahn Thai is sort of a hidden secret. Luckily my dad works near by and knows what's going on. We've now been a couple times, have been served by the same waiter and also delighted with some delicious food. Everything is very affordable, plus they have daily lunch specials if you're extra thrifty. The restaurant is small, but pleasant. Decorated with gold lucky cats, bamboo, paper screens and brown tables like something you would find at a church luncheon, Bahn Thai is simple and casual.

THE ORDER
Spring rolls $3.95
Me eating spring rolls, nothing new here. But for four bucks? Best deal in town hands town. You get 2 per order and they are big. Fresh and delicious. Stuffed with shrimp, lettuce, carrots and rice noodles. Served with a fish sauce.

S24. Guiy Teaw (Pho) $7.95 (seafood)
Best Pho I've had. The seafood version is served with large shrimp and squid. There is also a beef and meatball one if squid isn't your thing. The soup is a mild broth filled with wheat noodles, shrimp, squid pieces (no legs though), cilantro and green onions. On the side comes fresh bean sprouts, basil, lemon, jalapenos, Hoisin sauce and Sriracha sauce to adjust to your taste. This soup comes in a huge bowl and definitely can work as a meal. I thought I was going light by eating soup...I was wrong.

ps, don't be worried about ordering by the numbers.

E33. Pad Ped Puck Curry $7.95 (tofu) for le Sis
Big bright pieces of vegetables (red peppers, napa cabbage, broccoli and carrots) served with your choice of meat, in this case it was tofu. Served with rice. The portions were all huge. Everything looked very fresh and everyone seemed to enjoy. I was busy trying to finish my soup so I didn't try anything else. Oops. She says "get it, say DELICIOUS! cause it was".

E39. Gaeng Massamun (Massamun curry) $7.95 (chicken) for me Mum
This curry looked especially awesome to me. It reminded me of the curry served at Peninsula in Minneapolis. A thick coconut milk based curry served with your choice of beef or chicken and potatoes. Almost like a stew and while the meat and potatoes are simple the flavors from the spices are dynamic. Served with rice. My Mom was actually just looking for something with potatoes in it. The server suggested this dish and it was a hit.

I think I'll have to research/write about curry. Mr. B asked me what the difference was between green, yellow and red. I sort of know...but then again I don't.

F44. Gaeng Ped Pla $7.95 (catfish) Dad's
A fish fillet deep fried served with coconut milk, red curry paste, kaffir lime and basil leaves. Finding a good fish dish at a little place like Bahn is pretty surprising if you ask me. My Dad has had fish here several times and really enjoys it. I guess all I can say here is if you like curry and fish this is a good bet.

THE VITALS
# of People: 4
Reservations: Nope, you probably don't need them especially during lunch. They also do take-out.
Day/Time of Visit: Tuesday, March 31st at 12:00 noon.
Will I be back: I already have been. Too bad it's in Plymouth.
YAYs!: Huge selection, very reasonable prices, friendly server, everything we've tried has been great. $4 spring rolls!
Nays: Not a great location.
Notes: Plenty of parking because there is nothing in the 4-seasons mall. If you have a question about the food just ask!

-B.W.

No comments: