Friday, September 4, 2009

Sustainable Food




As the growing season comes slowly to a close (at least here in Minnesota) I reflect back on my first attempts at gardening. I think that sustainable food is a really important issue that we should all address. I don't think we all need to become vegetarians and I am fully aware of how expensive organic produce is, but consider the future and the past and think about where skills like gardening have brought us and can bring us. It is not such a crazy idea anymore that urban gardening and sustainable food is the wave of the future and maybe the only way we will be able to survive someday.

We live in a culture where quick and easy is the norm. A lot of people don't want to get their hands dirty or wait 3 weeks for a tomato to grow when you can get them at the grocery store. I'm guilty of this just as much as the next person. It is hard to start a garden, especially in the city. Things don't just magically start growing, at least for more people, and most first time gardeners will have their fair share of disappointment. Just a few weeks ago i killed a bunch of morning glory plants, sigh. The good news is somethings did work out and the things that I didn't I learned from my mistakes.

My goal this winter is to keep a considerable amount of plants growing indoors and to start my second garden early next season.

No comments: