Friday, March 20, 2009

Tuna Town in Cali Town

Tuna Town
221 Main Street
Huntington Beach, CA 92648
714-536-3194
http://www.tunatownsushibar.com/

So I was lucky enough to visit my good friend Chris this past week. He recently moved to Huntington Beach, CA near the Orange County area. I was looking forward to some catching up with my best friend, a little sun and some awesome food. One thing I can say about California is there is definitely lots of food options and you can almost always sit outside.

After the jetlag wore off Mr. B and I were ready for some adventures. We may have started out with some Carl Jr.'s, but we were just hungry okay! And being on a different time zone than the rest of California made our first morning rather painful. So...I won't be writting about Carl Jr.'s just yet.

A little background about my good friend Chris. He attended the C.I.A. during his college years and graduated not too long ago. He's lived/worked in New York, California and Minnesota. He was a long time assistant manager at Tryg's near Calhoun Village in Minneapolis. If you haven't been there you should try it out (although it's not the same now that he's gone). They have live jazz music on Sundays, which I enjoy. Anyways, the point is he knows his stuff. Soon he will be the manager of a resort restaurant on Laguna Beach. CONGRATS!

So our first official food stop in HB was Tuna Town on the downtown strip. We didn't have a destination at the time, so we just picked a spot where it looked like we could eat outside. Tuna Town is a sushi bar and teppan yaki grill restaurant, although we did not partake in either. We just did their lunch/breakfast menu along with some dollar mimosas. Dollar mimosas in California?? YES! It's true.

Our lunch was light, but excellent. I have to say hands down, best ham sandwich ever! Mr. B will agree. Plus all the vegetables are fresh and the mimosas large...At that point I almost thought about moving.

THE ORDER
Ham cheese sandwich $8 (Mine and Mr. B)
Served on a French roll with lettuce, tomato, avacado, bacon, cheddar cheese, grilled ham and this super awesome spicy mayo. Served with skinny fries and a side of pickles. The bread was super soft and fresh and all the veggies were crispy and refreshing. There's never anything wrong with ham, cheese or bacon, so I think it was the mayo that made this sandwich. I'm not exactly sure what was in it, but it had a kick and a really awesome flavor. Believe me, I will be trying to recreate this. To top it off this sandwich was affordable (large portion) and well worth the 8 bucks.

BLT $6.50 (Chris')
Basic BLT, but it looked amazing. Chris added the optional avacado for a fee of fifty cents (the coin amount, not the rapper). Fresh with lots of veggies on whole grain bread and served with fries. For 6 bucks this was defintely a steal.

That plus 6 mimosas for 6 bucks brought our total to about $21.

THE VITALS
# of People: 3

Reservations: Just look for the open seating outside.

Day/Time of Visit: Sunday, March 8th, 1:00ish.

Will I be back: Next time I'm in downtown HB.

YAYs!: Great food, good deals, right in the center of downtown and our waitress looked like a more distinguished version of Shannon Elizabeth.

Nays: Nothing I can think of. The other diners were a little interesting, but nothing bad.

Notes: Get the ham and cheese!

-BananaWoo

No comments: