Friday, March 20, 2009

Roat Osha, the Identical Twin of Tum Rup

Roat Osha
2650 Hennepin Ave
Minneapolis, MN 55408
612-377-4418
http://www.roatosha.com/

So I thought I'd go ahead and write about Roat Osha since I just completed my Tum Rup Thai review. You can tell they are owned by the same people because their menus are almost identical. I'm glad to see another Thai place in town, but at the same time these places are becoming rather generic and all blending together. I guess if you want to eat pad thai everyday from a difference place then Uptown will do that for you. I'm not saying the food is bad, but I am looking forward to the day when I find a more down home authentic Thai restaurant in the Twin Cities. Hey - I'm new here, give me time.

I have to say that Roat Osha definitely wins in the dining space department. Compared to it's sister Tum Rup, it seems that Roat Osha stole all of the food growing up in this Thai family...It's bigger.

The ambiance is nice and open. I enjoy the large windows in front where you can see out onto the street. There is also ample free parking in back and a larger 'lobby' area in the front entrance. The one negative thing I will point out about Roat Osha is the horrible music they play. I'm not sure if they are trying to be funny or trendy or what, but it's god awful. And if you're reading this Roat, CUT IT OUT! I think I heard 'Safety Dance' and something by U2, I tried to ignore the rest. Some people at my table started singing the fillet o' fish commercial music just so we'd have something better to listen to.

Okay, I'm back from my rant. The food here isn't bad, but like I said it's exactly the same as Tum Rup. I don't know if I'll even go into the full review here for fear of being redundant. I had spring rolls and pad thai...how original, I know. But in my defense I had a bad day and really just went for the beer. Food was just preventing me from getting totally plastered on a Wednesday evening. Oh, Roat also has a better selection of beer than Tum Rup. Sapporo on tap? COUNT ME IN!

The rest of the party did a lot of the same. Some lemon grass chicken here, some curry there. Every thing was good, nothing to officially complain about in the food department. Not a lot to write home about either...but I guess quite a bit to write blog about.

I would have to say the service here was also better. Our server was a little on the loud side, but definitely friendly and helpful. If you are looking for some decent Thai food for an affordable place I would suggest Roat Osha over Tum Rup Thai. I may also say if you want to spend a bit more money go to The King and I or Sawatdee or say 'fine, if you're not going to take my suggestion, YOU PICK!" and then run away crying. Kidding.

And a note to whoever does the reporting for yelp.com - the attire at Roat Osha is not 'dressy'. Also, you're an idiot. This place is definitely a casual dining place, with a little extra flare. I'm pretty sure they won't kick you out if you're wearing jeans...however, they might if you're wearing a tuxedo. I know I would.

-BananaWoo
Roat Osha on Urbanspoon

No comments: